Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Some of My Honest Favorites

We have moved to a new home! Come visit us at Capturing Inspirations at capturinginspirations.com!


Summer is a great time to catch up on some reading. I have always been a bit of a nerd in the book department, so occasionally I will share one that has really made an impact on me. I received The Honest Life: Living Naturally and True to You written by Jessica Alba, for a Mother's Day gift this year and it has become one of my most highly recommended books to anyone looking for a great reference to eating healthier, organizing, entertaining, and general education about all the toxic substances that you may be unaware of (and great alternatives to any toxic brands we use).

This is also where I found the baby food recipe that I use for my daughter and she loves it. It's simple, easy, and nutritious. It makes baby food delicious and wholesome. I make a big batch and freeze the other half to save for later when life gets crazy busy.

Jessica also gives a simple recipe that she makes for her children for a quick and nutritious breakfast drink. You use a cup of frozen blueberries, handful of spinach, and cup of almond milk and then blend. It's so delicious and filling. My son loves it with a frozen banana blended in as well. Anytime I can sneak in a veggie in his food like spinach I am all about it.

I had discovered that since I became a mom, I have developed a deep passion to providing the healthiest way of life for my family. In food and the products we use. I am far from perfection, but have improved tremendously now that I have the knowledge. Ignorance is not bliss. As ridiculous as it sounds, when I would spray a harsh cleaner and expose myself to the chemicals, I wouldn't think much about it. But when I see my children press their delicate baby faces against the glass that I just cleaned with a cleaner that contains ammonia, that keeps me up at night. Not because of the smudges (those tiny hand and lip prints are adorable), but because I exposed them to harmful chemicals in their little growing bodies. And what about myself? If I want the best for them, how about taking better care of what I use so I can be around as long as possible to enjoy life with them!? There has got to be a better way. And there is!



If the topic of nontoxic products interests you, I have tried many of The Honest Company's products. Here are some of my favorites and why.




My most recent shipment of Honest Company products:
Swim diaper, Healing Balm, Sunscreen, Fruit & Veggie Wash, Dishwasher Pods, Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Bubble Bath


My personal favorite: Honest Bathroom Cleaner


Honest Bathroom Cleaner

When I was pregnant, my husband went the extra mile and cleaned the showers and bathrooms so I could avoid the toxic fumes. I almost forgot how awful I felt after cleaning with harsh, chemical products once I resumed bathroom cleaning duties after the babies were born. I would open all the windows (as directed on the toxic cleaners I'd use) and my nose and lungs would still burn for hours afterward. I felt like my bathroom had to be clean with all these strong chemicals. Boy, was I mistaken.

Honest bathroom cleaner was one of the first cleaning products I decided to try and I don't think I will ever go back to my toxic ways. I can clean the bathroom with the kids in the next room without worry. I feel like I'm caring for my own body since I'm not breathing in harmful fumes. The shower and tub are left sparkling and smelling like mint. I never in my life thought a bathroom cleaner would make me so happy. But it does!


Honest Sunscreen: A must-have for our family
Honest Sunscreen

This purchase was a no-brainer for me since we live in sunny Florida. I've used on me and my family for day-long trips to Disney Parks, the beach, the pool, and splash parks. It goes on easy, doesn't leave my kiddos looking like Casper the Ghost, and protects them from sunburn. I use it on my face. I used it on my daughter when she was less than 6 months old (since it doesn't contain any sketchy chemicals, it was safe and didn't irritate her soft baby skin). I keep one in my diaper bag, in the car, and by our pool. A product that we need to use so often needs to be safe. This one is a winner.


Honest Bubble Bath: Smells ah-mazing!
Honest Bubble Bath

At the end of a fun and messy day with the kids, nothing is more perfect that a relaxing bubble bath to lull them into sleep mode. This smells so good. Foams up nicely. And as horrified as I still get when my son uses a bathtub cup and takes a swig of the bath water (toddlers do that without warning sometimes), I feel a little better that the ingredients are much safer. My kids scrub up nicely with the Honest Shampoo & Body Wash and are clean as can be.


Honest Swim Diaper: Works great - I just got another for the next size up!

Honest Swim Diaper

We use this almost every day in our pool. I highly recommend this reusable swim diaper if that's your preference over the disposable kind.

I will be reviewing other products from The Honest Company in the future, but for now you can go to the Honest Company's site Honest.com to check it out. The best way to get started is to order a free sample kit with travel size items of some of their biggest sellers. You can do this for one of the bundles or both, you just pay shipping. I kept the samples from my trial kit in my diaper bag. The hand soap and healing balm has come in handy when we are on the go. Busy mommas need great products like these! Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Image by Arpi