Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Smoothie Queen

We have moved to a new home! Come visit us at Capturing Inspirations at capturinginspirations.com!

We all know we should be eating our veggies, but do we eat as much as we should? If you already do, good job. You get a cookie. Just kidding. It's definitely a rarity these days with our typical standard American diet consisting of mainly processed and fast foods. Honestly, I used to go DAYS without preparing fresh vegetables for a snack or to eat with a meal. I knew I felt better when I ate better, but I was never very excited about crunching on a carrot stick when I felt famished.

Then I discovered the smoothie. I'm not talking about "Smoothie King" smoothies, full of powders and sugars. I'm talking about fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, and combinations that fuel your body with what it was designed to consume.


I have to thank Kimberly Snyder for writing her books, The Beauty Detox Solution and The Beauty Detox Foods. She introduced the Glowing Green Smoothie (GGS) to me and it has become a staple in my diet. (If you are interested in her recipe, visit her page at www.kimberlysnyder.net). I have found her GGS recipe to be refreshing and delicious. I try to make a few batches of it to store in the fridge for a few days or freeze, so I am always getting veggies into my diet.

The point here is the smoothie isn't just a weekend blended frozen treat, but a way to increase proper nutrition into our daily lives. By blending up your greens and other vegetables, your body doesn't have to work as hard to break them down to pass along the vitamins and minerals to your cells. Your body then readily absorbs the nutrients and uses them exactly where your body is needing them the most (wherever that may be, every body is different). Stretch out of your comfort zone and try throwing in veggies like kale, spinach, carrots, or beets into your fruit mix. Dust off that blender and put it to good use.

To help you kick off your new healthy habit, I will leave you with a fun dessert recipe to try. It tastes like a chocolate milkshake (I know we are talking smoothies, but who can pass up a chocolate shake).

Cherry Chocolate Bomb (or as my 2 1/2 year old son likes to call it "Chockit Bomb") ahhh, if only he knew it contains spinach. Certainly makes this mommy's heart sing.





Ingredients:

2 cups of fresh spinach
1 cup of almond milk
1 frozen banana
1 cup of frozen black cherries
2 tablespoons raw cacao powder

Blend and serve.
You will sip and smile about how something that tastes so good can be so good for you. I love it when that happens. Enjoy!




original recipe from www.hol-fit.com (yet another great source for great smoothie recipes and more!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Image by Arpi